[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Dec 6 15:44:14 CST 2016

On 12/06/2016 01:54 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Well, remember Solaris really sucked in the beginning.

    Many things do.  Recall, if you will, what a steaming pile VMS
was up until late in the V4 and early V5 timeframe  Then there's
VMS' illegitimate offspring NT which was a heaping steamer until
V6, after which too much time was spent mucking up the shell.

> The first stable release was 2.6, the first usable release was 7,
> and the first approaching-nice release was 8, in my experience.

    Well, I have a Solaris 2.5.1 system here that serves as a DNS
and NTP server (and occasionally a shell-compatibility tester)
that just runs faithfully between power-cuts.

sparky:~$ uname -a
SunOS sparky 5.5.1 Generic_103640-27 sun4c sparc SUNW,Sun_4_75
sparky:~$ uptime
   4:36pm  up 77 day(s), 23:41,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.02, 0.02
sparky:~$

    Gotta love that old 4c iron.

    Cheers!