[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Linux as alternative

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon Dec 5 08:54:19 CST 2016

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:10:32AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 12/05/2016 01:34 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > You can get Linux with ZFS, however I don't think it is quite as
> > high-performance as on Solaris; but it does work.
> >
> > I think I have been running ZFS on Linux for about 3 years now with
> > certain servers I have.
>
>   I've been running it here for about five years, but only on one system
> with a relatively light usage pattern, so it's not a great data point.
> It has been good, but slow.  It's much, much faster under Solaris.

I have a few production linux ZFS systems in place. It is extremely slow.
The load average on them can reach 40-50 from kernel activity if I'm
hitting that storage layer even in moderate iops.
If I had the chance to go back, I'd most likely put the storage layer
on FreeNAS, and do iSCSI back to the linux system for their app layer.

At least I haven't had too many issues lately with the kernel addon
builds of the ZFS system. In the past I had to do things like hand
unload that system, remove it all, start from scratch. Or even zfs
import the existing pools in place after the rebuild (ie. kernel
patch) couldn't mount them.