[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sun Dec 4 17:15:11 CST 2016

On 12/04/16 17:33, Meelis Roos wrote:

>>> expect and fdisk ?
>>
>> There's no GPT support in the fdisk or cfdisk on my RHEL boxes.
>
> Current util-linux has that suport for years, it's just RHEL is archaic.
> To my taste, it is usually archaic even when a brand new major release
> comes out. Debian has got it much nicer.

Red Hat baffles me at times.  They continue to deploy dinosaur-era
releases of util-linux, MySQL, I'm sure folks can name other packages
...  and then they push out bleeding-edge unproven garbage like systemd,
or ship an engineering-prototype gcc snapshot as an official system
compiler after being SPECIFICALLY TOLD that it is not releasable yet.

(Yeah, did you ever wonder why the original Red Hat 7, as distinct from
RHEL7, had *two* compilers, gcc and kgcc?  THAT'S WHY.  The engineering
snapshot they shipped as the system gcc couldn't compile a Linux kernel
yet.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications