[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sun Dec 4 16:30:55 CST 2016

> I have yet to meet a disk-labeling tool for Linux as scriptable and
> easy-to-use (if not easy-to-learn) as gpart.  It supports MBR and GPT and
> requires no GUI.  My CentOS box appears to have nothing like that.

There is sfdisk for scripting - I have used it in custom installers 10+
years ago. parted is also scriptable - in fact, parted is only usable
with some frontend (script or GUI like gparted) that calculates your
partition starts and sizes.

> Do we even have to discuss the convoluted state of procps?  Or the fun new
> replacements for ifconfig and route?

Wel, I like the new versions because of better usability in scripts.
One line per interface, for example.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)