[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sun Dec 4 14:12:05 CST 2016

On 12/04/16 11:12, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, Andrew Jones wrote:
>
>>>  FreeBSD's tar can uncompress an archive whether it's gzipped, xz-ed,
>>>  bzipper, or compressed with one flag (z) instead of needing to pick one of
>>>  several (z, Z, l?, or j).
>>
>> GNU tar does this out of the box.
>
> Does it?  It doesn't seem to do it on my RHEL7 box:

Red Hat is notorious for shipping ancient versions of all kinds of
things.  For example, they didn't actually start shipping MySQL 5.1 with
RHEL, instead of 5.0, until after MySQL *5.5* had been officially
declared end-of-life.  And it wasn't until RHEL7 that they finally
started shipping a pgrep that supports -a.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net