[rescue] FreeBSD, was Re: [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Dec 3 17:10:37 CST 2016

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>   Actually I'm pretty sure it was actually bootable at one point.
>>
>> Bootable != stable and I have that directly from the guy who did the work.
>
>  I don't think I ever said anything about "stable".  What I said was
> the code was present, and then was removed, which I believe is true.

What was the reasonable alternative?

If no developer has the time, experience, hardware, and motivation to keep
to code updated, the code will languish as the rest of the system
advances.  Is it better to leave code in the kernel tree that either
doesn't compile or doesn't have consistent semantics with the other parts
of the code?

This isn't a decision that happened in some smoky boardroom; it was
hashed-out on the mailing lists with significant anguish.  No one stepped
up to support the port.  Nearly three YEARS elapased between the last
significant discussion about "How in the world will we keep this in a
maintainable state" and the removal of that directory:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sun4v/2008-September/000080.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sun4v/2011-May/000111.html

--
Jonathan Patschke