[rescue] FreeBSD, was Re: [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 3 16:28:25 CST 2016

On 12/03/2016 05:10 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 04:33:02PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> On 12/03/2016 10:26 AM, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>>> I really like FreeBSD.
>>
>>   How is its SPARC support, specifically for the T-series processors?
>
> If you are talking about T1000/T2000/T5120, unfortunately, support was
> never completed.  FreeBSD termed this the "sun4v" architecture as vs.

  Yes, the T1, T2, T3, T4 processors.  It's a shame that it was never
completed.  With the high state of evolution of FreeBSD, it probably
stood to be the best potential successor to Solaris on these advanced
architectures.  It has many of the features that soon-to-be-former
Solaris people want.

> the "sparc64" architecture which spans the T105-v215 era servers.

  The sun4u kernel architecture, yes.

> The sparc64 support is mature.  I am working on bring the package building
> back up to snuff after it had been neglected for a while.

  Very nice.  I may bring up a sun4u machine to try it out on, maybe as
a test build machine for you folks or something.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA