[rescue] FreeBSD, was Re: [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 3 16:25:01 CST 2016

On 12/03/2016 05:16 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> If it's as easy as lobbing an insult,

  It's a lot harder than lobbing an insult, of course.  But my insult
stands.  The sun4u support was done many years ago, but surely with all
of that OS development in the years following that, it has required SOME
sort of changes and/or maintenance?  Clearly THAT is happening...for a
commercially irrelevant architecture.

  I'm sure you see what I mean.

> let's see your sun4v support patches
> for any OS.

  I run Solaris on my heavy-lifting machines.

> sun4u was done when SPARC was plentiful and somewhat
> relevant.

  And funded by Sun, if memory serves.  That was apparently the kicker.

> When Oracle acquired Sun, most people saw the writing on the
> wall immediately.

  Well, they thought they did, as did a whole lot of paranoid
gloom-and-doom people.  That acquisition was how many years and how many
SPARC models ago?

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ