[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Sat Dec 3 03:45:40 CST 2016

On 2 Dec 2016 2:03 a.m., "Christopher Robinson" <
chrisrobinson at rocketmail.com> wrote:

As far as Solaris goes, i have been looking around for a good upgrade
fromOpenSolars. The best i have found is Gentoo Linux, which unfortunately
hasno installer and needs an entire day to install. Im a considering
OpenIndianaHipster. Any thoughts about that?

If you liked Solaris then any of the Illumos derivatives are the
continuation of the heritage :) I've heard good things about OmniOS too.

Certainly they're all a lot easier to get current opensource apps for than
Solaris ( https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/ )!

If your playing with Linux I'd suggest starting with Ubuntu to have
something which should install and get running quickly, then look at other
distributions later.