[rescue] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Dec 1 16:15:19 CST 2016

> I wonder what that means for SPARC.  Didn't Oracle just launch the
> SPARC S7 servers this summer?  The rumor says that Solaris is ending
> because of the cloud push, but Oracle just launched Solaris on S7 in
> their cloud this past summer as well.

On recent interesting trend that I have noticed is a group or Oracle
devcelopers working on sparclinux. First there were 2-3 devs asking
questions and sending patches, but the number has clearly grown.

Maybe Oracle sees Linux as the future for its SPARC OS? In that case,
they have a of work to do, for many corner cases, performance tweaks and
normal QA. Solaris has been notalke for its engineering and QA, Linux
has been more random at that.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)