[rescue] Replacement NVRAM/clock for IPX, success + question

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Thu Sep 24 12:08:19 CDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:33:37AM -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Steve Rikli <sr at genyosha.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 09:07:52AM +0100, Peter Stokes wrote:
> >>
> >> Not sure if relevant, but from memory I thought the system serial number on
> >> the case related to the hostid (and hence ethernet)  in some way on these
> >> older systems?
> >
> > I vaguely recalled something like that as well, but the serial# printed
> > on my Classic had no apparent relation to anything else.
> >
>       I would not be surprised if you can grab the serial number, run
> through a java script only Sun has, jump counterclockwise on the right
> leg around a chair 3 times, and end up with the MAC.

Back in the day (when alot of the SS2/IPX type systems started having
their batteries die out), I remember a discussion including some Sun
guys that up into about the mid Sun4c line, there was an algorithm.

But after that, it was random, and only tracked in a manufactoring database,
(probably due to too many MAC-OUI prefixes to track).