[rescue] Trying to revive my E450

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Sun Oct 25 11:46:24 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-25 11:50 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> A ZFS root does not necessarily get the bootloader installed on both drives
> of the mirror AFAIK. If you are sure you tried booting from both disks and
> it doesn't work, that is hard to understand.

Yes, this is the situation.

 > It is also not a good sign the
> disk label isn't recognized. Are you sure you got the right disks?

Yeah. When I packed it up, I wrapped the disks in foam and tape and
stored them carefully with the key, so I know it's the pair.

 > I have
> seen that error before when trying to boot from a non-Solaris disk. For
> example if you install *BSD on a SPARC box and then try to do a fresh S10
> install you get that message until you manually format the drives with
> Solaris format.
>
> Are you sure you are booting from the right drives? It might be worth trying
> to boot from the other drives too in case you pulled the wrong ones.

There were only two in this array.

The two drives DO probe with probe-scsi, I meant to say this (though
probe-scsi-all hangs).

The machine only has CD-ROM, so I must have done the original install
from CD-ROM images of Solaris 10, which Oracle no longer supplies. (If
anyone has a set, let me know...)

Thanks for writing.

--Toby