[rescue] Vector Plotters

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Oct 11 05:09:58 CDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 02:34:35PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
>> Vector CRTs, however do exist and typically, but not always, make use
>> of storage-tubes for the display. These are capable of producing
>> perfectly true curves, but are long obsolete.
> This is obviously some strange new meaning of "obsolete" I've not run
> into before - or are you aware of some other display technology that is
> capable of such results?

Any high-DPI/"Retina" screen can produce results nigh-indistinguishable
from a storage tube or other CRT. Proof: use it to display images of such
devices. A few fun examples can be found via
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Oscillofun

To synthesise new images would take a reasonable amount of GPU grunt, but
mostly only to apply retro filters to roughen up the image so it looks
like a manky old CRT.