[rescue] SS10 Accessories

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Sun Nov 22 05:12:32 CST 2015

> On the CD DVD support pretty much any SCSI version will work, make sure you
> set to ID 6 for booting and on DVD you will have to set to 512 byte block
> size
> on older DVDs to boot

IIRC, you need a SCSI CD and/or DVD device than can be set to 512 bytes for
the
sector size to be able to boot, and that was uncommon for non-Sun devices
at the
time. For my Ultra 1, I had to by a specific model (a Plextor 32x) SCSI
CD-ROM
drive to be able to boot from it; this model had the jumper to set 512 or
2048 bytes
for the sector size.

I would assume the SS10 would have the same requirements, and I wouldn't
invest money in a bog-standard SCSI CD-ROM drive.

But don't take my word for it, since this: <
http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/cdrom.html>
claims CD-ROM drives that support "mode select" to change to 512 bytes by
software should work...

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau