[rescue] Good SOHO router for ASDL? (was: what is this traffic?)

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Nov 4 07:34:40 CST 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:12:53 -0500
Mark Brown <sunrescue1 at marknmel.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/2015 2:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> > my router is the problem. That also somewhat explains the problem of
> > why the switch was showing high traffic.
> I kinda wondered that... Good now that that  component is isolated.
> >
> > So, what is a good SOHO router for ADSL?
> Heh! -Everyone- will have an opinion about this....
>
> Here is my opinion  - there isn't one - and I wouldn't waste any money
> one one!!!
>
> In the spirit of this mailing list - which doesn't seem to be limited to
> rescuing SUN equipment anymore (who would want one of weird Larry's ugly
> stepchildren anyway? ;-)  ) - I've taken to rescuing Cisco equipment.

Sounds good if you live in a place with good prices and cheap shipping!

> I'm using a PIX 515e.  They practically give these things away on ebay
> (cheaper than SOHO gear...) and will still outperform (most) consumer
> grade routers.  They are fairly power efficient, but the form-factor is
> a little larger than one might wish for.  I don't reboot mine.....ever!
> Generally has years of uptime - until I lose my feed from the utility
> for longer than the UPS will cope with. Management is fugly with Java
> these days - so I keep an old VM just for management.  I run two or
> three IPSEC tunnels to family computers... It runs PPPoE....
>
> Even a basic 2651XM will do what you are asking.... cheap and reliable
> too.
>
> If I want WIFI - I just turn off DHCP on a consumer grade access point,
> and plug into the LAN side of the WIFI rig.

Thanks, I'll look into this too, if necessary. Usually shipping and customs
duties are killer for any hardware here which is why we have virtually
none...

I paid 200 bucks in taxes and penalties for 3 *used* Sun PSUs I bought from
a shop in America.