[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 31 22:19:32 CST 2015

On 12/31/2015 01:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>>> " I haven't really done much with them, except to power them up, connect them to
>>> " a laptop and play a little with the Forth binary. The two units I have are
>>> " earlier versions (B and E, I think), and seem to work fine as 6502 processors
>>> " at 45MHz. Would make for a good speedup for my Apple ][s :-)
>>> " _______________________________________________
>>>
>>> hmmm...  why stop at 45?  http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/
>>> mentions 200MHz 65c02s and 100MHz 65c816s!
>>>
>>> interesting to learn they can be found in pacemakers.
>>
>>   Pacemakers, HP calculators (35S)
>
> 8502? Is that opcode compatible with the 6502?

  Yup.  Same processor as used in the Commodore 128, too.

> Did you get one of those? I've been going back and forth thinking about
> whether to try to get one despite the long buglist and other problems.

  I have one.  I like it, but my 48SX is still my main calculator at my
desk, and an 41CV is my main calculator on the bench.  I don't do much
complex stuff (no pun intended) on the 35S, so I haven't hit any of the
reported bugs.  I received it as a Christmas gift the year it came out.
(which actually did make me very happy)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ