[rescue] [OT] Debian founder dead at age 42

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Dec 31 07:45:32 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:14:57AM -0500, hike wrote:
> (i.e. I get to say what reminds me of what and you
> have zilch to say about that)
>
> Are you new to the sun help-rescue mailing list?

That's relevant how?

> You are free to say what it breminds you ofb
> But
> Another person is also free to say something/anything about
> your breminds you ofb and/or change the topic of the thread.

Sure, I get that. However nobody can tell me what's valid when I make a
statement that something reminds me of something else. That's all I was
saying. If it reminds me, it reminds me, no matter how much that troubles
any unwell, angry person. That statement by itself should be no reason for
somebody to come unglued. If he is healthy that is.

I think attacking people for expressing their opinions is unreasonable. So
you have to read the whole thread and see if somebody was just drinking for
24 hours straight before New Years or whatever to jump on somebody about an
issue he has no personal connection to. Like I said, unless he was having
some kind of love affair with Murdock and even then I didn't make any value
judgements about that, all I said was it reminds me of Reiser. It reminded
me of Reiser. I really don't get why that's hyena fodder for certain list
members but there you go.

> My only comment is that the Context of the two events you described are
> quite/very different.
> As reading teachers tells usbThe Context determines the meaning.
> A murder and a suicide are quite differentbthat is, they have different
> Contexts.

Sure they're different but they're also similar. If you value human life
then killing yourself is still murder. There is a similarity. In this case I
named a bunch of similarities. Both of those people exercised bad judgement,
committed crimes, and affected a bunch of other people. That's all I was
saying. You can't argue the facts.

You seem to have been able to express yourself without attacking me and I
thank you for it. I have no problem with that. I disagree with people all
the time without insulting them or calling them names or flaking out. But
when somebody who's not wrapped real tight starts dumping on me because of
his personal problems or proclivities or whatever, I get to respond to
that. Had I known he wasn't 100% I would not have responded to him in the
first place. My mistake.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/30/ian_murdock_debian_founder