[rescue] ZFS on FreeBSD, was Re: RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Wed Dec 30 14:30:57 CST 2015

On 12/30/2015 08:05, patrick at zill.net wrote:
> On December 30, 2015 3:06:50 AM MST, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> The details are starting to become fuzzy with time, but I recall that
>> ZFS boot was rather funky before FreeBSD 10, and that it was lagging further
>> behind in features than ZoL did.
> Yes, before 10 it was a pain to have boot on root.  Can you now do a full ZFS install with nothing else needed?

Yes, you can, easy peasy with 10. And true, before FreeBSD 10 there
wasn't a hand-holding installer that created bootable ZFS systems.

But it wasn't that onerous for anybody who coped with the pre-Java
Solaris installers (to pick but one example) to setup an
everything-on-ZFS system under FreeBSD 9. There were a number of proven
step-by-step guides out there as of FreeBSD 8.

 --S.