[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Dec 30 14:33:25 CST 2015

On 12/30/2015 12:44 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>>> But pretty much of that all went away with Solaris 11, allowing for
>>> booting thru ZFS under various RAID types.
>>
>>    Ahh ok, I speak only of Solaris 10.  I know little of Solaris 11; is
>> it "out there" and runnable on SPARC systems?
>
> Solaris 11 GA was released November 2011, i.e. (11/11) and has no
> problem booting from the various RAIDZ types.  And, a ZFS rpool is all
> it will install/boot from.

  Excellent!  I've made a note of it.

> I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not.  Maybe a bigger deal for the
> SOHO end user.  It has been some time at $WORK, local drives were
> mirrored for OS+swap only, and all data and applications were on SAN.
> Or, everything is on SAN, to include OS.

  I use two-spindle mirrored rpools for boot/swap and /usr/local on
every Solaris system I manage.  Everything else goes in a separate
raidz1 or raidz2 pool, depending on requirements.

> Additional notes that may or may not be of interest to you concerning
> Sol 11 GA and forward.
>
> 64 bit kernel only - both x86 & Sparc.  32 bit code still runs just as
> well as it ever did, but the 32 bit kernel is gone.
>
> Solaris 11 GA runs only on T-series or M-series boxes.  All those nice,
> but aging, Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes had support dropped out from
> under them.

  That figures.

  I'm only running T-series machines now, but I may investigate 11.
I've been on 10 for many years; things are rock solid so I am reticent
to move.  Perhaps I'll set up a test machine.

> Solaris 11 Express - for my personal use - All the new Solaris 11
> goodies and updates, but runs on my personal Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes.

  Cool.  Where can I get ahold of that?

                 -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ