[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Dec 30 13:09:35 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:54:41AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > On Dec 30, 2015, at 11:44 AM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:
> >
> > Solaris 11 GA runs only on T-series or M-series boxes.  All those nice, but
> aging, Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes had support dropped out from under them.
> >
> > Solaris 11 Express - for my personal use - All the new Solaris 11 goodies
> and updates, but runs on my personal Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes.

I don't like to second guess Jerry since he is usually (always?) right on
the money when it comes to Solaris but AFAIK S11 Express was discontinued
right affter S11 went live and S11 Express was promptly pulled from Oracle's
servers (as in there is no source to download it from). S11 pulled out all
the sun4u support that S11 still had. In the very first release of S11...
When you say updates- I guess you meant updates _at that time_? Again AFAIK
it is not possible to update S11 Express with any of the S11 updates.

> Nice, I forget what I installed on my 'last' ultraSPARC, I think it was
> Solaris 11 downloaded freely from Oracle for personal use - based on your
> comment I suspect it was Express edition, because it certainly was not a T- or
> M- series box.

I think it was S10 if I remember the discussion. t105?