[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Dec 30 11:44:36 CST 2015

Please see inline comments.

On 12/30/15 12:03 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>     Ahh, booting from ZFS is a different matter entirely.  There are even
>>> restrictions on that in Solaris!
>>
>> Can you go into more depth on your comments on ZFS booting
>> restrictions.  I know Solaris 10u8 thru 10u11 can boot off of a
>> stand-alone or SAN disk with an rpool, and also a mirrored rpool.
>
>    One can boot from an rpool if it's a mirror, but not if it's a
> raidz<n> pool.
>
>> But pretty much of that all went away with Solaris 11, allowing for
>> booting thru ZFS under various RAID types.
>
>    Ahh ok, I speak only of Solaris 10.  I know little of Solaris 11; is
> it "out there" and runnable on SPARC systems?

Solaris 11 GA was released November 2011, i.e. (11/11) and has no problem
booting from the various RAIDZ types.  And, a ZFS rpool is all it will
install/boot from.

I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not.  Maybe a bigger deal for the SOHO end
user.  It has been some time at $WORK, local drives were mirrored for OS+swap
only, and all data and applications were on SAN.  Or, everything is on SAN, to
include OS.

Additional notes that may or may not be of interest to you concerning Sol 11 GA
and forward.

64 bit kernel only - both x86 & Sparc.  32 bit code still runs just as well as
it ever did, but the 32 bit kernel is gone.

Solaris 11 GA runs only on T-series or M-series boxes.  All those nice, but
aging, Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes had support dropped out from under them.

Solaris 11 Express - for my personal use - All the new Solaris 11 goodies and
updates, but runs on my personal Ultra III and Ultra IV boxes.