[rescue] RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)

Bill Stivers stiversb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 15:45:57 CST 2015

> I did not see that coming.
>
> Shame modern Linux is so bloaty that it doesn't *feel* fast. Makes me
> wish there was a native BeOS portb&

Linux seems like itbs increasingly AIXifying.  The odd strictures and
behaviors under systemd feel very much like my experiences under AIX. Ibm
one of those AIX-liking idiots, so Ibm all right with that, but itbs not
what I liked about Linux and drew me to it.  As Linux has acquired more and
more Solaris-y features, it feels like itbs taken on a chunk of the old
weird clunkiness associated with Solaris.  I spent 10 years at Sun, but never
quite could toe the party line on bsunos5  = good ; sunos4 = badb. :)

It is what it is:  Linux does a lot of things for a lot of people, and the
bigger something gets, the more entrenched interests dig in to make their
mark.  I figure RedHat like to sell training, and what better way to sell
training than break userland in a way that requires it. :) Ibd be angry, but
this is the cycle, this is the way it always goes.  It is what it is with all
the good and bad that implies.

Ibve been scurrying around trying to find a lightweight replacement for
Linux with some novelty and new features to bend my brain in new ways. I
donbt want to be a slow greybeard, I want to be the greybeard that gets
kept.

It would be nice to run a plucky little underdog OS that enables you to get
things done, and makes for fun programming projects.

Haiku sort of fits that bill, but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from
the BeOS on and off hell experience from the end 90s and early 00s.  If you
havenbt noodled around, Liam, therebve been a lot of efforts on the
bHaiku on ARMb front that could probably use talented folks, maybe you
could give them a hand that they need?  There seems to have been lots of
activity on that front a few years ago, but Ibm not seeing a pile of it
lately, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

It does look like the Castle Tech folk are excited about pushing RiscOS
multicore, so that might suit some.

Anybody else got any leads on something fun, lightweight, and novel to hack
on?

bB

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]