[rescue] [off-topic] What was this markup language?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Dec 8 08:58:53 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 09:45:09AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> > The only thing I know is people seem to be producing .ps documents, I
> > see a lot of them in certain areas.  I have no idea if that is the
> > output of something else or whether they write them natively.
>
> Almost all of them are the output of something else.  A very few people
> write PostScript directly, but that (a) is relatively rare and (b) is
> almost always when someone is treating PostScript as a general-purpose
> programming language (with, sometimes, output via a printed page or
> some substitute) rather than as a page description language.

For example a lot of the SPARC documentation at sparc.org is available in
.ps format. Not that you can tell for sure, but they don't look like they
were done in LaTeX. They don't seem to take advantage of whatever it is
jumps out at you as being LaTeX in some documents, as opposed to what stuff
done in MS Word or OO looks like.