[rescue] [geeks] Looking for a sysadmin gig in Houston/remote

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Dec 3 12:51:02 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 09:31:29AM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:11 AM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:10:48AM -0700, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >> You would think that by now, someone would have noticed that the high tech
> >> companies in Japan and South Korea often have long term employees who know
> >> all about the company, or engineer types, as CEO.  And they often kick
> >> their USA based competition in the butt.
> >
> > I don't agree with this at all. When you have no regard for patents or IP
> > and people are willing to work like dogs and regularly kill themselves if
> > they fail the corp. mission the culture is very different. Do they still not
> > put doors on the bathrooms?
> >
> > They are great at ripping off stuff and making improvements. Their
> > manufacturing is something we could learn from. Their development and
> > engineering process is not. There is relatively no innovation there,
> > individual accomplishment is not valued, productivity is extremely low in
> > white collar jobs, and they work their people literally to death.
> >

> This isn't the 1950s, Japan does more than clone American TVs and
> transistor radios.

They clone more stuff but they still clone and it's hard to list that many
inventions that ever came out of Japan.

In the late 1980s or early 1990s, Fujitsu ripped off several IBM operating
systems. Unfortunately for them the guys who grabbed the code couldn't read
English so they left in the copyrights. They paid IBM 830 million dollars
cash ($830,000,000). That was still a lot cheaper than writing it all from
scratch. Ripping off stuff is their way of life. They have no morals or
ethics and there is no level playing field.