[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 157, Issue 3

Fred fred at MISER.MISERNET.NET
Thu Dec 3 07:26:10 CST 2015

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 15:19:07 -0500
> From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] [geeks] Looking for a sysadmin gig in
>
>   Suits do it for short-term bonuses they get for the cost reduction.
> They pocket those bonuses, and then usually jump ship before everything
> goes to hell.  It's a fairly common suit trick.

The horrible thing is, I have seen it in industries separately that have
nothing to do with one another.  From a CEO at a bank changing data
processing systems (why didn't you do your due diligence and pick this
particular one product while giving just lip service to the others?  Oh
yeah, you're getting "paid" somehow, but smart (or is it sociopath?)
enough to not make it obvious.)   The funny part?  He eventually jumped
ship before being run out on a rail (his luck finally run out) and of
course left mess in his wake.  One year after he landed at a new company
... you guessed it!  Switched to that same data processing system.  You do
the math.  It just doesn't pass the smell test IMHO.

... To healthcare where a company is purchased (they call it
"partnership") and you KNOW the folks at the top are being "paid" somehow,
so far removed from the original religious/caring/original mission etc
aspect of the organization that it makes me wonder why you still call
yourself nuns.  The partnership company is so large and monolithic that
they are the poster-children for "left hand doesn't know what the right
hand is doing.".

I've always said - not that I want to be the CEO of a company but I've
sure learned what NOT to do by watching all of these other people.

Apologies for the rant. Dave and I share the opinion on suits/MBAs and
such and most of the time I try not to reply when the topic is steered in
that direction.  This time I couldn't help myself. :)

ObRescue: while it's not big gear or Sun, I rescued three serviceable
PeeCees yesterday and am going to make one (possibly two, or maybe all
three?) good one out of the three, and donate them to friends of mine
who either never had a computer and/or couldn't afford one.

Fred