[rescue] Picked up an IBM / Tadpole RS6000/N40, xinit hangs system.

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Sun Sep 7 17:34:03 CDT 2014

It looks like the N40 originally ran a special version of AIX 3.2.5. I was
thinking about the other RS/6000 laptop which had the AIX 4.2.1 special
version. I do apologize for the confusion.

I did find this tidbit that could be useful.
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/7007/7007-n40.html
"When you bring up NCE Display panel, no display types listed.
Cause:  The /etc/fbconfigurations file can get zero'd out when written back to
disk from memory. Get fbconfigurations.N40 then make a copy just in case."

Good luck.
-Andy Wallis