[rescue] Scanning Best Practices - was Re: Inside Solaris newsletter

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Oct 5 20:59:10 CDT 2014

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Toby Thain wrote:

> 3) Be very careful with DJVU compression - it is lossy! - the results can be
> surprisingly dangerous. I can't find the link now, but there are published
> examples of schematics involving substituted numbers (literally one digit for
> another). It's clearly a risk derived from the way djvu works. Use lossless
> TIFF LZW or similar.

My understanding is that those instances are from defects in Xerox
firmware, not from the design of djvu.  Still, as a general, rule, do not
use lossy compression for archival.  Data are precious; do not discard
them!

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do
Elgin, TX         |  the great things while they are small."