[rescue] 64 Meg CF Card

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Sat May 24 21:08:55 CDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [rescue] 64 Meg CF Card
From:
Lionel Peterson
Date: Sat, May 24, 2014 6:54 pm
To: The Rescue List
<rescue at sunhelp.org>, The Geeks List
<geeks at sunhelp.org>

Maybe sanity has
left me, but what, if anything, could I do with such a
part? Are there any
interesting appliance software builds than can
install
on such a small device?
--

I use them with IDE to CF adapters for old Macs. For the 68K/early PPC
machines 64 meg is enough for booting and a few apps or games.

Now, if only
SCSI to CF were cheaper and easier to find, though I've had
good luck with
2.5" SCA drives and terminated 50 pin to SCA adapters.
36G and 72GB 2.5"
drives are fairly cheap and their small size generally
leaves room so that the
adapter board will fit.

It's kind of a waste of space, since older MacOS
doesn't generally deal
with partitions bigger than 2GB, but when the drives
are costing $8-$10
a piece, I don't feel too bad. Then again, you can have
_a_lot_ of 2 GB
partitions :-)

Steve