[rescue] Sun Netra X1 Update

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat May 24 10:33:46 CDT 2014

Hello all,

I just wanted to share that in my cleaning today I came across 4x 512
Meg PC133 ECC Registered DIMMs (not sure why I have them or why I got
them), but as I was going to go and clean out the X1 before sending it
off to it's new home I thought I'd try installing 2 Gigs of RAM in the
X1.

Short answer - it works.

Probing Memory Bank #0 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #1 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #2 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #3 512 Megabytes
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device 7
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device 3
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device c  ethernet
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device 5  ethernet
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device a  usb
Probing /pci at 1f,0 Device d  ide disk cdrom
todm5819 Sun Netra X1 (UltraSPARC-IIe 400MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #50717018.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:5:e1:5a, Host ID: 8305e15a.

Long answer - it works fine despite the Sun documentation (Sun
Hardware Handbook) saying that only 500 MHz CPU X1s support 2 Gigs of
RAM. I suspect the updated OpenBoot PROM plays a part in the ability
to run with more than 1 Gig of RAM (I doubt there would be a hardware
difference between the two mainboards).

Any way, just a note to any interested, the Netra X1 with OpenBoot
4.0.18, as installed from patch 111952-03 supports 4x 512 Meg PC133
ECC Reg DIMMs for a total of two Gigs of main memory.

It's still a 400 MHz CPU, but 2 Gigs for Solaris 10 makes everything a
bit nicer.

Now I'm going to pack up the Netra X1 for shipment to it's new home...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com