[rescue] Update on the Netra X1

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 06:51:29 CDT 2014

> On May 21, 2014, at 12:23 AM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:
>
> I have a Netra X1 in front of me now.   500 MHz CPU + 2Gb ram.  I believe
that 2 Gb was the ma

My casual investigation showed 1 gig as the max, but it's good to hear it
could handle 2 Gigs.

It seems like a nice box, I like that it has a replaceable coin battery
instead of an NVRAM TOD chip, and two IDE ports are interesting. I would have
preferred SCSI or SATA, but back in the day IDE was the way to get cheap
storage...

It's a bit louder than I like, but not that much louder than a similar-sized
Xeon 1U server appliance I run at home (2x quad core, 8 gigs RAM, one SATA
drive). I suspect a two processor VM running Solaris on my Xeon server would
outperform this appliance.

I tried to install Solaris 10, but the DVD couldn't be read - not sure if the
issue was the actual disc, I'm going to try a known-good disc first, then
resort to an install server if that fails.