[rescue] Sun 3/110 Netbooting...

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Fri May 16 01:51:41 CDT 2014

Hi Earl

Sorry, cannot directly help with the netboot, but as you say you are close
from the sound of it, but do not have any of the Sun 3 info here, except to
say I thought the Sunos 4.X was very similar to Sunos 3.X in terms of booting,
given that 4.X was essentially for Sparc and 3.X was for the 3 series 68XXXX,
so maybe look at that approach?

>From memory I seem to remember a two stage boot, but sadly way too long ago
since I played with Sun 3's (back in 90s).

On the disk boot, I think you need to get the netboot working as the UFS FS
and label for the disk are likely to be needing an old version, again from
memory and later UFS and labels may not be readable sensibly by the Sun 3. I
do remember the format prog was different on Sunos 4 to Sunos 5, such that 5
could read 4 labels, but not sure if ok the other way round.

One quick question, are the tape images available as a download?

You could of course try to recreate the tapes on a different tape drive other
than the QIC drive.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services