[rescue] TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 14 21:26:45 CDT 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014, Mouse wrote:

> I have the impression that it is hostile to nonconformists, such as
> those who do not follow Christian religious ways, or who are not vanilla
> mono cis hetero sexually, who aren't fluent in one of the local majority
> languages, or aren't one of the local majority subraces of humanity.

This has not been my experience, but I suppose that depends on one's
definition of "hostile."  I've found the culture in the SF bay area,
New England, and the east coast to be far openly cold towards perceived
outsiders.

Generally (and this is less true east of I-45), if you don't make your
business into other people's business, nobody cares one way or the other
what you do or how you are.  Just be decent, and most people will be
decent in kind.  There may be assumptions, and folks may pass judgement if
those assumptions are found to be false, but people here generally frown
on ostracising others for no good reason.

That is to say: people are people, like anywhere else.

ObRescue: also, the potential for rescuing hardware in Austin, Dallas, and
Houston is about as good as you can find outside of Boston or the SF bay
area.  I mean, I've picked up VAXes at the local Goodwill inside of the
last 10 years, and seen NeXT systems trading on Craigslist in the last few
months.  We also used to have a company in Austin that specialized in
radiation-hardening SGI systems, and dumpster-diving there was allegedly
legendary if you were willing to run the risk of pissing off a DoD
contractor.

The "fix instead of replace" culture is more often found outside the
cities.  Inside the cities, broken electronics tend to get turned into
"art."

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do
Elgin, TX         |  the great things while they are small."