[rescue] From the basement...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 18:19:31 CDT 2014

So I took a quick look at the system - it's a Apple ][e with the 80
column card, a superserial card (for printer I assume) and a disc
controller. The two disc drives are in a "duo" case and attach with a
single round cable (not the rainbow ribbon cable the drives connected
with on early Apple ][ computers I'm familiar with.

As an Apple ][e it appears to have 64K on-board and the 80 column card
takes it to 128K - cool.

The keyboard appears clean, all the keys seem responsive, none are stuck AFAIK.

The board looks very clean, a bit dirty, but not like it has been
lying around with the top off the case for a while.

If I'm lucky, it should just power up, if I'm not luck, it will
release it's magic smoke from the PS.

I wonder what people do to get around the inevitable death of 30+
year-old 5 1/4" floppy drives (and the complete lack of new 5 1/4"
media AFAIK)? (Do people use iPods connected to the cassette ports?)

This could be interesting - I'm going to research case cleaning
techniques - the case is pretty clean, but I'd like it to shine if it
still works.

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson