[rescue] [geeks] Windows monoculture (was Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts)

Brian Deloria bdeloria at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:36:37 CDT 2014

On Mar 11, 2014 8:20 PM, "Andrew Jones" <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:

> On 03/11/2014 08:34 PM, Andrew Hoerter wrote:
>>
>> In theory, the NT security model is far richer than traditional Unix,
>> but it all goes out the window (heh) when ordinary user accounts are
>> administrator-equivalent.
>

> Windows vista/7/8 don't make user accounts administrator-equivalent
unless you go way out of your way to make it so.

> That said, there are some security things they could improve:
> * blacklist known-bad versions of flash and java
> * give me the ability to whitelist executables
> * make the MAC framework usable by mere mortal systems administrators

Bad versions of Java won't go away.  I have to run 2-3 browsers at work to
deal with legacy software interfaces.

Email spam engine interfaces (past)
Storage array GUI (recent and past)

Nothing feels worse than to walk into work and find a Java update shoved
down your machine.  Then spend a half day trying to find the right version
and get it reinstalled.

Getting slightly back on topic...

I've enjoyed this list over the years.  I've been able to give equipment to
appreciative homes and save it from the scrapper/landfill.  I've also
received assistance from other members with my Solaris issues.

Bill thank you for continuing to maintain the list, and site. A thank you
is overdue on my part.