[rescue] [geeks] Windows monoculture (was Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts)

Andrew Hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Tue Mar 11 19:34:19 CDT 2014

On 3/11/14, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That it is easier to write a virus against Windows is beyond question, but
> if windows were better engineered, virus writers would still target it - they
> would just have to work harder at it.

Not that I relish defending Windows, but two of the biggest malware
vectors in the Windows world are Adobe Flash and the Java browser
plugin.  Microsoft can't be blamed for the sins of others.  Although
they can certainly be blamed for freely mixing executable code with
data in other products -- MS Office is another popular malware vector.

In theory, the NT security model is far richer than traditional Unix,
but it all goes out the window (heh) when ordinary user accounts are
administrator-equivalent.