[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Mar 11 09:57:02 CDT 2014

On 03/11/14 10:43, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> If anyone says PCI systems were cheap, flimsy, not over-engineered, and
> that the PCI cards were unreliable, may I present to you a V880? I've got 3
> of them sitting around that need to go away.  They ran for about a decade,
> until they were retired at the end of last year from Purdue (still more are
> still running).    People here are finally accepting a switch from Solaris
> to Linux (which in the end will save Purdue $$$ which has become a big
> focus with our current administration), and considering how much it costs
> to run a slow 8 processor server that draws 1.5kW at idle.

It's that 1.5kW that's the killer.  While it would be cool to have one
sitting in my rack, not only could I not spare the money to run it, I
don't have the excess capacity on my UPS to run it.  I'd need to install
a second big UPS and a second 30A circuit to run the second UPS.  it's
the reason I passed on my E3000 -- however interesting a machine it was,
I couldn't afford to run it, and it was just sitting there aging and
collecting dust.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications