[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Mon Mar 10 22:55:44 CDT 2014

On 03/10/2014 11:45 PM, Mouse wrote:
> Admittedly, that's a substantial loss, though more so for many of you
> than for me.  Patch availability is irrelevant if you don't care about
> the OS being patched (which I don't, Solaris and all other
> closed-source OSes).

I like to put my computers on the internet, so I care very deeply about
patches for closed source operating systems.

> The major thing Oracle killed that I personally
> care about was the chance of getting hardware documentation for things
> like the cg14's DMA engine or the SUNW,rtvc.

We were never going to get docs for 1990s hardware.  Odds were pretty
good that no docs ever existed, even internally.  Lots of hardware
drivers are written by teams that speak directly to the developers.

> Oh?  So the uses I'm making of my SPARCs don't count, or what?  (My
> routine screens-and-keyboards, at home and at one of my workplaces, are
> SS20s with cg14s and type-3 keyboards.)

They essentially don't count, Mouse.

Today, in my workplace, people poke fun at me for using Linux instead of
OSX.  (never mind OSX's many deficiencies as a UNIX)

Insisting on using 20 year old hardware at home makes you a really neat
guy to talk to, but you and I both find ourselves in sticky situations.