[rescue] A fast *and* quiet SPARC system?

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Fri Mar 7 04:48:15 CST 2014

Hi

I'm in the process of rationalising my vintage Sun collection and finding
new homes for the systems I no longer use (older Ultra 60s, etc).

That said, I'm keen on acquiring a more modern SPARC system for home use.
Ideally, I'd like something that's reasonably fast (certainly faster than a
dual 450 U60) and not too noisy. I see that T1000/T2000 systems are dirt
cheap these days and would certainly be fast enough for my needs, but I
think they fail the "quiet test" quite miserably.

Is there such a thing as a fast *and* quiet SPARC system? OS support isn't
an issue as I'd be happy running *BSD on it (and OpenBSD supports pretty
much everything SPARC these days).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner b" mj at mjturner.net b" http://mjturner.net/