[rescue] Installing Mavericks 10.9 on - Re: FS: Mac Pro 2006 w/ Radeon 5770 (UK only)

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Mar 3 06:46:09 CST 2014

On 03/03/14 2:46 AM, Google wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Apologies for the cross-post I wanted to get as wide a sweep as possible)
>
> I think am finally going to have to let my Mac Pro go. I've owned it since new
> (early 2007) ...
> Because of it's age this machine WILL NOT (officially) run OS X 10.8 or later
> due to the lack of 64-bit EFI firmware on the main-board. It CAN be jury
> rigged using PC Hackintosh tools apparently, but I didn't want to rely on a

You can do it without Hackintosh, using Tiamo's replacement boot.efi.

The result is perfect; I just installed Mavericks on my 8 x 3GHz MacPro 2,1.

If the video card is compatible (I used a GeForce 8800 with 2,1
firmware), then this will "just work" and is fine for production.

> production machine that was hacked. At the very least the effort requires
> another, current capable Mac.

To download Mavericks only. For which you also need an Apple ID. You can
always do this on a friend's Mac.

You also need an external drive of some sort, around 8GB in size; the
web instructions suggest a USB drive but you can also use any drive
connected via USB - I used a laptop drive with a (S)ATA/USB adapter.

--Toby