[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 16:03:41 CST 2014

<rescue at sunhelp.org>

wrote:

>> Adding arrays to these systems is usually successful and cheap, so
curious
>> what config you had an issue with?
>
>I was trying to use SAS.

bought a LSI 1068 (same chip as is in the Sun T2000 and I believe
>V245) based
PCI-X card (and later a second one in case the first was
>bad), two cables (in
case the first was bad) and first an active SAS2
>array that supported SATA
tunnelling and later a passive SATA array.
>I also bought two SAS disks and
tried 3 SATA drives.

>Every combination that could be physically connected
would initial
>work, but would have read errors, complain about device resents
until
>it would eventually freeze and require a hard reset.

I, too, am
hoping to get external SATA storage working on my V240, and found an
1068-based PCI-X card on Fleabay.  I'm curious, which card did you try?  The
card I bought has 12 ports, which implies it uses expanders.  It was only
after my purchase that I realized the Solaris 10 'mpt' driver doesn't support
expanders.  I haven't tried to hook up any storage yet, but the OS does attach
to the card no problem.