[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 04:42:32 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:14:27AM +0000, Peter Stokes wrote:
> > On the Sun Fires, the second PSU is required for cooling even when it is
> not
> > supplying power. The doc says you should not run with only one of two PSUs
> > installed. So you're spinning extra fans and pushing air and heating up
> your
> > box for nothing, until you actually need the second PSU.
>
> Not strictly true, there was a blanking module which was shipped in place of
> one of the PSUs on some of the low spec versions of the V240. In general they
> will work fine with just one attached as they were designed as redundant.

Well, the V440 doc clearly states in more than one place the machine should
not be run with only one of the two PSUs, but checking now I don't find
similar verbiage in the V210/240 doc. There is a difference in the manual
sets I have and I see a diagnostics and troubleshooting guide for the V440
but I don't have a similar manual for the V240.

Perhaps I was wrong, if so, I'm sorry for the misstatement. Still, based on
the info in the V440 doc and the fact these boxes do throw a lot of heat, I
would not want to run a dual PSU model with only one PSU.