[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 04:03:01 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 04:17:00AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On February 27, 2014 3:43:52 AM EST, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:20:34AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >> Personally, I think the V240s are much nicer.  All the power of a
> >V210,
> >but without as much noise.
> >
> >Well yeah, all the power as a 210 at twice the size and more power
> >consumption. You do get 2 more drive bays and an extra PSU but is it
> >really
> >worth another rack unit just for that?
>
> Does the 240 use more power if you don't use the extra PSU, HD bays, or
> PCI slots?  I suspect that equal configs would use equal power.

But the configs aren't equal, since you have an extra PSU and 2 extra drive
bays. If you're running only 2 disks in one, what's the point of having a
240 again?

On the Sun Fires, the second PSU is required for cooling even when it is not
supplying power. The doc says you should not run with only one of two PSUs
installed. So you're spinning extra fans and pushing air and heating up your
box for nothing, until you actually need the second PSU.

> And the extra U is worth it if it is going to run in my basement. It was
> hard to talk over the noise of the 210 when sitting a floor above it.

The 210s are shrill, but the 440 is not quiet. It's kind of like being on a
charter boat or in the back of a bus or vacuuming your house with an old
Hoover, when they were still all-metal. These boxes were not designed to sit
under the desk in a recording studio ;-) They do make great office heaters
in the winter though.

> >Kicking it up a notch a V440 gives you the extra PSU and the 2 extra
> >drive
> >bays over the V210, *and* 2 more CPUs. So that's an upgrade worth
> >having.
> >For me the V240 is neither fish nor fowl.
>
> Hmm, I haven't tried pricing that machine. I might have to consider an
> >upgrade.

They're pretty nice. They're 4U, but you get space for an extra 16G of RAM
over the 210/240. Bottom line, for goodness per rack unit, you can't be a
V210.

--
I was a programmer in the 1970s and I still am.