[rescue] Cars, etc - was Re: Help needed with Sun V65x

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Thu Feb 20 06:50:09 CST 2014

On 20/02/14 1:50 AM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, Toby Thain wrote:
>
>> Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar all went "diffusion" with cheaply made and lower
>> priced models trading off a luxury brand name -- decades ago.
>
> On my workbench are the pieces of a thoroughly analog electronic musical
> instrument ...
>
> I appreciate that my 21st century Bimmers do not require double-clutching,
> do not burn oil with alacrity, do not require choking when cold, and get
> 25+ miles to the gallon even when I drive like my hair's on fire.  The
> 2000-mile service intervals that accompanied the same time period in which
> that instrument was built aren't any sort of luxury I desire.
>
> Sometimes time just marches on and there isn't any conspiracy to it.

That's beside my point.

My point was about luxury brands going diffusion (and taking any quality
differentiator out of the equation under cover of a marque created under
completely different circumstances).

Yes, they exploit modern economies, cheaper parts, etc, to achieve that,
but _so does every car maker_ no matter what their market positioning.

--Toby