[rescue] Help needed with Sun V65x

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Tue Feb 18 17:32:16 CST 2014

On 02/18/2014 06:17 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I think there was a performance gap that tilted towards the UltraSPARC IIe
> (the 2000-era Celerons really inhaled deeply)...
>
> What was a mainstream desktop processor selling for at the time? That would be
> a fairer comparison I suspect. Were Celerons P3-based in 2000?

Celerons would have been P3-based at the time.  I suspect they were
considerably faster than a US IIe, clock for clock.  I have no
benchmarks to back up this suspicion.

Higher-end processor prices from this period:

Nov '00: P4 1.4 GHz, $644
Jul '01: P4 1.6 GHz, $294
Aug '02: P4 2.6 GHz, $562

Unfortunately, by this time, SME didn't talk that much about chip
pricing.  The USIIe got a fancy press release because they thought they
could sell it for embedded apps.

I would be hugely curious about what a circa-2001 USIII cost.  I would
be surprised if it were less than $2k.