[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 135, Issue 22

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Feb 18 17:21:32 CST 2014

> Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec>  wrote :
>

> On 02/18/2014 12:10 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Instead they tried to retreat to the high end and suffered a similar
> > fate as SGI as they gave up more and more ground - remember that the
> > Indy was about $5K at introduction.
>
> Every UNIX vendor tried to get into that $5k price point in the early
> 1990s.  HP 712/715, Sun ELC, SparcStation 1, DEC Jensen and so on.
>
> I think there was, briefly, the hope that UNIX workstations could
> eclipse PCs.

Well, It just didn't happen the way they expected.   At least in some
sense... :-)
Think of how many Linux, and Mac boxes there are out there  (yes OS X is
based on Mach, but I'd personally consider that more of Unix variant than
Linux, but that's simply personal opinion)
So, if we add up every Linux and OS X (and IOS... yes they run the same
kernel... at least according to Apple) I bet we're close to being in 1st
place....if you count tables, etc.
So it "may" win in some sense, but not in the path expected I bet...:-)

Earl