[rescue] Disposable electronics is unsustainable - Re: rescue Digest, Vol 135, Issue 8

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 07:53:55 CST 2014

It appears that you mis-read my statementbunless you believe a large set
(>50%) of people these days have the skill set required to successfully
repair the failed caps.  One person wrote that he thought 10% of the
population could solder; Another wrote 1%; I wrote bsmallb and that
should
cover 1%-49%.   I took several classes in high school but they were all
engineering prep classes and not technician classes.  The guys in the
technician classes are all either managers or retired and arenbbt
soldering
anymore.  That vocational program at my high school was eliminated decades
ago so they arenbt producing any more solderers.  My PC Engineering class,
taken in the 1990bs was a DOS/Windows/swap a board/install memory, hard
drive, cd course with no soldering and no thought of soldering.  The local
bradiob vocational college morphed to computer related concentrations and
radiological courses.