[rescue] Fixed LCD's?

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri Feb 14 14:03:36 CST 2014

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> I wanted to try Metcal. But used Metcal equipment is very hard to find
> here in Germany and expensive when baught new. Eventually I gave up and
> baught a OKI MFR 2241. It uses the "Smart Heat" technology from Metcal.
> What a blast! I never used soldering equipment that performed so well as
> the OKI MFR. It is amazing how small and easy to handle the MFR irons
> are. Yet they are able to deliver an amazing amount of heat when needed.
> Working with those tools is a pleasure.
>
> So, if you are in the USA I recommend to have an eye on a used Metcal.
> If you wane somthing new go with OKI MFR. Comparable or even cheaper in
> price then Weller but performs much, much better.
> --

I completely agree with Jochen on the Metcal and other manufacturers
using this same "Smart Heat" technology.

And especially for a novice, having one of these soldering irons will
make learning how to work on multilayer boards replacing parts without
destroying the boards/traces.

While I can work with the most crude equipment because I have alot of
experience and know the "touch" for doing good work with bad tools, for
an inexperienced solderer, poor tools impede progress unless you have an
experienced coach to help you through the learning process.

-ron