[rescue] Recycled P4 machines - Re: Fixed LCD's?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 19:14:35 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 07:36:07PM -0500, Toby Thain wrote:
[...]
> P4 is quite a capable chip; my "gaming" machine is a 3.4GHz P4 rescued out of
> spare parts that were lying around in my neighbour's apartment (I traded for
> a couple of fixed LCDs and a whole as-new Shuttle PC out of a dumpster that
> he uses for a media player).

The Pentium 4 is a very inefficient architecture and the power consumption is
horrific. I wouldn't haul it away if you paid me because it costs too much to
run.

In the vein of fan heaters that do a bit of computation on the side, I want rid
of both a Sun Ultra 20 M2 and a 3U rackmount whitebox dual-Opteron system with
hardware RAID and hotswap SATA. Collect from south London or make it worth my
while to post them. The CPU+motherboards are worthless, but I'd like a modest
number of purple drinking vouchers for the useful bits, i.e. the enclosures,
disk controllers, and spud brackets.