[rescue] Fixed LCD's?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 17:58:48 CST 2014

I heartily recommend the Weller WES(D)51 units.  I got my WESD for < $150,
and it's rock solid on the temperature control.  There are a fairly good
selection of tips available, and the unit, itself, is easy to repair, if
something goes wrong.

As far as desoldering goes, I stick with a good quality braid for simple
work, and a Hakko 808 desoldering gun for the complex stuff, and for hole
clearing.  The gun is well made, fairly inexpensive, and fully
user-serviceable.  It has helped me any number of times, with some fairly
difficult removals.

Check EEVblog for some really good advice on soldering.  Dave Jones really
knows his stuff.

- Alex