[rescue] Fixed LCD's?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Feb 13 17:30:16 CST 2014

On 02/13/14 18:07, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>     If you're not sure whether you want to get serious or not, take
> the cheap way out for the learning phase and buy a $8.99 RS iron
> and get your mistakes (of which there will be more than a few when
> learning, so don't get discouraged) on the cheap.  If you've got
> the knack, and the interest, make the investment in quality gear
> as it's well worth it.

Honestly, I wouldn't even waste my money on a $10 ratshack iron for
soldering with.  For plastic welding, maybe, but they are such crappy
irons they could discourage you unnecessarily.

I'd suggest something like an Aoyue 937.  It's a quite respectable
digital temperature-controlled soldering station, good for a lot of
beginning to mid-range work, and you can get it for about $60.  It won't
discourage you by being a useless piece of festering dreck, and it won;t
break the bank if you decide soldering is not for you.

Desoldering tools are another story.  I agree that the spring-plunger
type are better than bulbs (the comparison to braid isn't really sound,
they have different purposes), but that's not saying much.  The biggest
problem with the spring-plunger tools is that they jump off the work
from spring recoil every time you hit the release.  I'd really love to
find or devise some sort of low-cost continuous-suction desoldering tool.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net